Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Quiche

Alright friends....it's time to SLAP THIS BLOG TOGETHER! I promise, now that school has started, to make a better effort to post AT LEAST once a week! (See how well that went with my last post???) :)

So, I have found myself making my Crustless Spinach Quiche a ton lately!! First for a baby shower, then for my family since I had all the fixins on hand. I also got a great tip from my good friend (and fellow heart momma) Melissa. She used to make a quiche, cut it up into individual portions, wrap each piece and freeze. That way every work morning she could grab a piece and run! What a fabulous idea!!! So....in my effort to avoid refined carbs lately and eat a more fruit/veggie intensive diet, I have been eating A LOT of quiche :)

Alright...for the recipe. I LOVE this because you can basically do it up a million different ways! Use what you have on hand, prepare the night before if you have company, and pop in the oven in the morning. VIOLA....instant delicious breakfast. What more could a girl ask for?? OK, probably a lot of things, but work with me here!!

Here is the original recipe! Feel free to add or exchange any veggies/protien you want to. It is simple and delicious!!

6 eggs, beaten
1/2 pound light ground sausage
1/2 red onion, diced
1 pint mushrooms, sliced
10 oz package spinach, thawed (excess moisture squeezed out)
3 cups shredded muenster cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pie plate with Pam.

In a large bowl, beat all eggs. Brown sausage in a pan, remove and drain. Saute onion and mushroom in same pan as sausage. Once browned, add spinach and saute until all moisture is evaporated.

Mix together eggs, sausage, onion/spinach/mushroom mixture and shredded cheese. Place in pie pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until browned and set.

Note: I only use about 1 cup of cheese to cut down on the fat content. It is still delicious! I also love to add red or orange bell pepper that I saute in with the onions and mushrooms. YUMMY! Another way to change it up would be to try a different protien. Chopped ham or canadian bacon is delicious!

When I freeze individual portions, I like to wrap each serving in saran wrap. Then I wrap 4 pieces up into a foil packet. Remove individual servings and you should never have any freezer burn!!

Hope you enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. Um, Yummo!!! You are a natural at this, Emily!! Can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete